Serving Arlington, Virginia
Dental veneers are a great solution for people with chipped or misshaped teeth and they can be an excellent alternative to crowns in many situations. At Gentle Care Dentists in Arlington, our dentists have successfully installed thousands of dental veneers on patients across Virginia to improve the aesthetic quality and color of their teeth. Schedule an appointment with our team of dental professionals today to learn more about veneers and how they can help improve your smile!
What Are Dental Veneers?
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, a veneer is a thin piece of porcelain or composite thin resin used to recreate the natural look of teeth, while also providing strength and resilience comparable to natural tooth enamel. Porcelain veneers tend to be more stain-resistant and natural-looking than composite veneers, however composite veneers can be significantly thinner. A conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color, size, or shape, veneers can mask undesirable defects such as:
- Teeth that are permanently stained or xanthic and cannot be whitened by bleaching.
- Cracked, chipped, or broken teeth.
- Large gaps between teeth.
- You don’t want braces.
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth.
Veneers Before And After
Take a look at the veneer before and after pictures below to get a sense of how veneers can reshape your smile and transform your appearance.
Dental Veneer Process in Arlington
In order to determine if you are a candidate for dental veneers, your dentist may schedule a preliminary consultation to properly evaluate your oral health and all of the available treatment options. If your dentist comes to the conclusion that veneers are a great option for you, they’ll ask you to participate in the “smile design process” to ensure your personal preferences and objectives are met.
Dental veneer usually requires two to three dentist visits – one for a consultation and one/two to make/apply the veneers.
Preparing the Tooth/Teeth
To prepare for dental veneers your dentist will remove part of your tooth enamel, about ½ millimeter from the tooth’s surface. Then your dentist will take an impression of your tooth/teeth which will be used by our state of the art laboratory to create a customized and beautiful veneer. This process can take between ten to fourteen days. We will provide a beautiful temporary solution for you to wear while the new veneers are being fabricated.
Fitting & Application
When your dentist receives your veneer(s) they will have you come in to fit the tooth and permanently cement it into place.
- First your dentists will have you try the veneer on for fit and to see if the color matches. Then your dentists will trim the veneer, if needed, so that it properly and comfortably fits.
- Once your veneer is ready for application your dentist will prepare your natural tooth/teeth by cleaning, polishing, and etching the tooth. Then a special bonding cement is applied to the veneer which is then placed onto your tooth.
- Once properly situated your dentist will use a special light to cause the bonding cement to harden.
- After the bonding cement is fully hardened, your dentist will remove any excess cement, evaluate your bite and make any necessary adjustments.
You dentist will most likely schedule a follow up a few weeks after your veneers have been placed. At this visit the dentist will look to see how your gums are adjusting and check the placement of the veneers once again.
Interested In Orthodontic Treatment In Arlington, VA?
Or Give Us A Call At 703-291-4666
Benefits of Dental Veneers
Veneers offer a lot of advantages for people that are unhappy with their smile.
- Provide a natural tooth appearance
- Have a low risk of irritating gum tissue
- Are stain resistant
- Last longer than dental bonding
- Are less invasive than crowns for changing a tooth’s color and shape.
- Mask surface flaws
How Long Do Dental Veneers Last?
On average, dental veneers last 7 to 15 years if properly cared for.
Dental Veneer After Care
Dental veneers do not require any extra care than natural teeth; however, to keep them healthy and in good shape you still need to have good dental hygiene. Our dentists suggest the following dental routine.
- Brush twice daily (once in the morning, once in the evening) for 2 minutes at a time.
- Use a soft bristle toothbrush
- Floss daily
- Rinse with antiseptic mouthwash
From teeth shape to length and color, you’ll work one-on-one with your dental professional to create the smile of your dreams.
Dental Veneers Alrington, VA
When you visit Gentle Care Dentists in Arlington for dental veneers, we’ll take the time to understand your unique needs before recommending the best treatment option for you. If you’re interested in learning more about dental veneers and how they can improve your smile, contact our dental facility today by filling out our online contact form or giving us a call at 703-291-4666!