If you are missing a tooth or have a badly chipped or decayed tooth, your dentist may require you to get a crown. Dental crowns are one of the most common restorative dental procedures used to repair decayed, chipped, or broken teeth. At Gentle Care Dentists in Arlington, we’ve successfully helped thousands of people restore aesthetic beauty and functionality to their smile through our innovative dental crown procedures. If you’re looking for a team of reliable dental restoration professionals, contact the dentists at Gentle Care Dentists today!
What Is A Dental Crown?
Dental crowns are primarily used to cover or cap a damaged tooth. While dental crowns look and function the same as healthy teeth do, they can help protect a fragile tooth, fill a gap in a smile, or make a distressed tooth more attractive.
While there are many reasons get a dental crown, some common reasons your dentist may recommend them include:
- You have a cavity that is too large for a standard dental filling.
- You suffer from gum disease
- You need a dental bridge to replace a lost tooth or a few teeth.
- You have a badly cracked or broken tooth.
- You have a serious root canal that needs additional protection.
- You have permanently stained or discolored teeth.
- You’re getting a dental implant and will need a crown to fit over your implant post.
Dental Crown Material
Dental crowns can be created from a variety of materials, including porcelain, ceramic, gold and metal alloys, acrylics and composite resins. While porcelain crowns are known for their strength and natural appearance, ceramic crowns are a also popular option. When you meet with your dentist, they’ll be able to help you decide on the best kind of crown for your oral health.
Interested In Dental Crowns In Arlington, VA?
Or Give Us A Call At 703-291-4666
Dental Crown Procedure
A dental crown procedure usually takes 2 dentist visits. When you first visit the professionals at Gentle Care Dentists in Arlington for a dental crown procedure, we’ll examine the problem tooth or teeth to ensure a dental crown is the best treatment. Once we have determined that a dental crown is the right choice for your oral health, our certified dentists will
- Prepare the tooth. Any decay is removed from the tooth and the outer portion of the tooth is removed so the crown will fit. If needed you dentists will build up the core of the tooth to support the crown.
- To create your custom dental crown an impression will be taken from a mold or by digitally scanning the tooth.
- Temporary Crown/Waiting. While the permanent crown is being created and sculpted to the perfect fit, you may get a temporary crown. It usually takes less than 2 weeks for the permanent crown to be made.
- Fitting of The Permanent Crown. When the permanent crown is ready your dentist will place it in your mouth and make any necessary adjustments. Once you and your dentists are happy with how the crown fits in your mouth and looks, your dentist will bond the crown over your tooth for a comfortable and protective fit.
Dental Crown Aftercare
Dental crowns behave like natural teeth. They can break, chip, and the natural tooth under the crown can get cavities. To prevent damage to your crown, follow the advice below.
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss daily
- Avoid chewing hard foods like candy or ice
- Don’t chew on hard objects like pencils or pens
- See a dentist every 6 months for exams and teeth cleanings
If you think you may be in need of a dental crown book an appointment with one of our talented dentists. They will walk you through what your issue is, what options you have, the pros and cons of those options, and what they would recommend. Fill out our contact form or give us a call at 703-291-4666 to schedule an appointment today!